Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's All Greek to Me and George Kennan Fooled Around!

Sure there may be neo-nazis in the new Greek government (see Naked Capitalism.com Nov. 23) but the real shocker was reading the NY Review of Books, Dec. 8th issue that outs George F. Kennan. The article by Frank Costigliola ties Kennan's extra-marital affairs to his frequent periods of illness over a long life. Christ, is nothing sacred! Did Dean Acheseson know? How come I didn't know? Well, honestly I couldn't care less. Still, I'm an old-fashioned guy who likes his WASP elite represenatives to be paragons of virtue. Okay, he wasn't born to the manor. Thus, he was the personification of the foreign policy intellectual, at a time when that actually meant something. So I'm just gob-smacked.
What about Hans Morganthau, Hermann Kahn (just gives me the creeps writing it down)Foster Dulles (nah)? Don't tell me. I can't live with the knowledge that Anne cheated on George Smiley. Sure, she was a fictiona character. What did LeCarre know and when did he know it? I mean about these other guys in the real world.
The above ravings are no more off the wall than the announcement by the police department of NYC , by a guy named Loeser, that the press were being protected when they were forcibly restrained from covering the police riots downtown.
The writers for the Daily Show need to catch up with the flacks for the cops...the true artful dodgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment