Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Eating Children and Such

I may have dreamed this one up...it was several hours ago that I read on a news website that: witch doctors in Uganda were sacrificing children to guarantee prosperity for the businessman willing to pay to have the child killed (abcnews.go.com.2020/child-sacrifice-uganda-witch-doctor).
I must admit that Uganda has been off my list of places to visit for quite sometime. But this story got my attention. It seemed so grotesque as to be a parody. I thought that The Onion might have hacked the website of the news site. But no. Upon rereading the piece carefully, I let the full effect settle in.
I wonder what Swift would have said about this barbaric situation?
Then I began to think about whose children are being sacrificed to finance capital in my own dear country. Here we kill their self esteem by preaching "equality" of opportunity while making sure that formal equality is undermined by economic inequality. Tax bases are rigged so that schools in rich areas are able to provide extras for their pupils and wealthy parents can enrich their children's opportunities for success in academics and social climbing. A classic example of what i am alluding to is the systematic underfunding of the largest public school system in the nation, the New York City public schools. Generations of minority children, any already burdened by poverty, living in substandard housing, in neighborhoods with high crime and even higher unemployment go to schools that have been robbed of financial resources owed to them by the State of New York. No, it is not Uganda. Here we kill the child 's ambition and self-esteem....But, we let the children live on with fewer opportunities than their wealthy counterparts, poorer health prospects and shorter life spans. How civilized? How superior we are to our Ugandan businessmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment